Here’s your March WINsight
In case you missed it…
- We moved! Come check out our new office space at WeWork Wonderbread Factory in Shaw (641 S Street NW)
- We updated our website and database last year, including an interactive messaging and networking platform to engage with other WIN members. If you haven’t already, explore your member profile.
WIN’s Political Director and Congressional Council Liasons organized an incredible 2017 Congressional Council Reception on Capitol Hill to celebrate pro-choice, Democratic women in Congress. WIN honored Representative Jackie Speier (D-CA14) as this year’s Congressional Council Reception Trailblazer and Representative Grace Meng (D-NY6) as this year’s Rising Star. Thanks to everyone who attended the reception!
The 2017 Young Women of Achievement Awards was a huge success! Special thanks to our Events Director, YWA Leadership Team, and sponsors for planning a fabulous event. We also tip our hats to Emcee Charity Blackwell and Keynote Speaker Tina Tchen for making us laugh and reminding us to stay vigilant in the fight for pro-choice, Democratic policies.
Congratulations again to all of our finalists and to our 2017 YWA winners!
Advocacy and Organizing: Elle Hearns
Entrepreneurship for Good: Doreen Allen
Politics and Campaigns: Kiara Pesante Haughton
Reproductive Justice and Women’s Rights: Chitra Panjabi
Service Beyond Measure: LaTricea Adams and Lydia Avila
The Lobbying & Advocacy, International, and Women’s Health Policy Networks and Political Action Team co-hosted a panel on International Women’s Day to discuss the Global Gag Rule, a heinous rule that denies funding to any U.S. global health organization that offers information, referrals, or services relating to abortion. The panel included members from GW’s Voices for Choices, GW Feminist Student Union, GW College Democrats, and Feminist Foreign Policy.
The Campaigns Team and Government Network hosted a panel discussion on how to run for office (or help another woman run) with professional campaigners and elected officials. Panelists included women from Fairfax County School Board, Emerge VA Board, NARAL, and EMILY’s List. Attendees picked up campaign tips and tricks, as well as seasoned advice on how to get started and build a platform.
Are you a Network leader or WIN member who would like to be featured in the WINsight? Please email Emily Imhoff at email@example.com.
- The Environment Network is hosting a screening and discussion of Leonardo DiCaprio’s documentary “Before the Flood” on Monday, March 27 at 6:30 p.m.
- WIN’s Membership Director is hosting the next WIN 101 on Wednesday, March 29 at 6:30 p.m.
- The Arts & Culture and Environment Networks are pairing up to host a Spring Fashion Clothing Swap on Saturday, April 1 at 11:00 a.m.
- The Political Action Team is joining forces with JWI’s Young Leadership Network to lobby on Capitol Hill on Monday, March 27 at 8:00 a.m.
- Equal Pay Day (sigh) is on Tuesday, April 4. The Professional Development Series and Political Action Team are co-hosting a salary negotiation workshop at 6:30 p.m.
- WIN’s Spring Week of WIN is just under one month away, and the theme this year is WINdurance. Keep your eyes peeled for more information about Week of WIN events and discounted membership prices!
Doris Quintanilla, Membership Director
Hello, I’m Doris! Happy to be your new Membership Director. Did you know you haven’t missed our awesome membership events? Come meet me and learn more about WIN at our upcoming WIN 101 on Wednesday, March 29 at 6:30 p.m. Next month, join me for April Happy Hour with Bossed Up on Wednesday, April 19 at 6:30 pm. Questions about your membership? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Emily Imhoff, Communications Director
Hi, y’all! I am thrilled to serve as your new Communications Director, and I am even more excited to re-launch monthly WINsights and WIN’s blog. What would you like us to write about? What would you like us to discuss? Are you a stellar writer hoping to feature your work on our blog? I want to hear from you! Please email me at email@example.com.
Advisory Council’s Note
Madalene Mielke, Advisory Council Chair