Be the Next WINtern!
Position Title: WIN Internship (WINtern)
Wage: $11/hour (30 hours/week)
Reports to: ViceChair of WIN’s Executive Committee
Location: Washington, DC
Posted Date: April 7, 2017
Starting Date: ASAP
Do you identify as pro-choice and democratic? Are you interested in building your network and expanding your knowledge of nonprofit sector?
Are you resourceful and a self-starter? Do you excel at multitasking and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders?
If this resonates with you, then we are looking for you!
The paid WIN Internship is an opportunity to do substantive, staff-level work in member services, event planning, fundraising, database work, and office management. The WINtern is also encouraged to attend events hosted by WIN or other local organizations and is invited to plan networking and programming opportunities for other WIN members currently in Washington D.C. and surrounding areas.
Essential Functions Member Services (30%)
- Troubleshoots and responds to incoming questions about membership, dues, the WIN website, the WIN Google Group and events in a timely manner.
- Monitors the acquisition and renewal of members and creates membership reports for the Membership Director and the Finance Director.
- Assists the Membership Director with recruitment, outreach, and new member orientation events.
Office Management (30%)
- Performs general office administration duties, including sorting and routing mail, answering the telephone, making copies, responding to or redirecting email inquiries and voicemails, and restocking supplies.
- Assists Communications Director with messaging and outreach for WIN events.
- Updates website and social media when needed
- Creates, composes, or helps edit organization wide email blasts to be sent out to WIN membership and networks.
Event Planning (10%)
- Works closely with the Executive Committee Board and WIN leadership teams to manage event logistics and prepare any and all necessary materials for events.
- Processes and tracks all event registration and donor contributions and provides revenue updates to the Development Director and the Finance Director.
- Assists onsite at WIN events.
✓ Demonstrated interest in pro-choice, Democratic values
✓ Commitment to the mission of WIN, the community and its members
✓ Ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision
✓ Excellent oral and written communication skills
✓ Attention to detail
✓ Flexibility and adaptability: ability to manage unexpected duties, troubleshoots
unforeseen challenges, and adapt to shifting priorities while meeting tight deadlines
✓ Pleasant, professional demeanor with good customer service skills
✓ A good sense of humor is a plus
Key Qualifications & Skills
✓ Recent college graduates and young professionals preferred
✓ Knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel
✓ Database experience (i.e. Salsa/SilkStart) preferred
The WINtern manages the daily operations of the organization, is often the initial point of contact with membership, and is typically the only person in the WIN office during business hours. This position also supports the 13 person, volunteer WIN Board of Directors (known as the Executive Committee), but reports directly to the Vice Chair.
Expected Hours of Work
Consistent weekday (MF) availability (30 hours) and some evening/weekend availability. Flexibility in schedule is a plus to maximize support and attendance to WIN events, which would be agreed to and determined in advance.
Please forward the following materials to Natalie Weiner at email@example.com:
★ Resume that outlines your experience in relation to the proposed role
★ Cover letter that demonstrates your interest in the position, anticipated availability
★ Contact information for two professional references and one personal reference
(references only contacted after an interview)
APPLICATIONS DUE: April 17th, 2017 (applications accepted on a rolling basis afterwards until position is filled).
ANTICIPATED START DATE: as soon as possible.